• News
  • Business
  • Education
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Travel
Khaleej Mag
  • News
  • Business
  • Education
  • Sports
  • More
    • Health
    • Entrepreneurship
    • Islam
    • Technology
    • Travel
    • Contact Us
  • Facebook

  • Twitter

  • Instagram

  • LinkedIn

  • RSS

News

Trump tax settlement sparks backlash over limits on future IRS scrutiny

Trump tax settlement sparks backlash over limits on future IRS scrutiny
Web Reporter
May 20, 2026

The administration of Donald Trump has agreed to permanently drop certain tax claims against the US president and his business interests as part of a settlement tied to a lawsuit over leaked tax returns, prompting criticism from Democrats and ethics watchdogs who say the arrangement grants extraordinary protections unavailable to ordinary Americans.

A one-page addendum posted Tuesday on the US Justice Department website states that the government is “forever barred and precluded” from examining or prosecuting current tax matters involving Trump, his sons and the Trump Organization. The document was signed by acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

The settlement stems from a $10 billion lawsuit filed by Trump against the Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Department over the disclosure of his tax records. Trump and his family argued the leak caused reputational and financial harm.

The Justice Department said the agreement applies only to existing audits and examinations, not future tax matters. Still, critics said the language of the settlement could shield Trump and his associates from further scrutiny tied to current investigations.

The White House directed questions to the Justice Department, while the Treasury Department did not publicly comment on the agreement.

The settlement was announced alongside the creation of a new $1.776 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund,” which the administration said will compensate people who believe they were unfairly targeted for political prosecution. Blanche described the initiative as a lawful avenue for alleged victims of politically motivated investigations to seek redress.

The announcement immediately drew sharp reactions on Capitol Hill. Democratic lawmakers and ethics groups condemned the fund, describing it as opaque and potentially vulnerable to political abuse. Some Republicans also expressed concern. Senate Majority Leader John Thune told reporters he was “not a big fan” of the idea.

Questions also emerged over whether individuals convicted in connection with the January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol could seek compensation through the fund. Blanche declined to rule out that possibility during testimony before lawmakers on Tuesday.

Trump defended the initiative during remarks at the White House, saying the fund was intended to reimburse people who had been “horribly treated.”

Former IRS Commissioner Daniel Werfel said he was unaware of any precedent in which the agency agreed in advance to permanently halt examinations of previously filed tax returns for a specific individual or company.

“Whether you are the president or Joe the Plumber, people expect the same tax rules and enforcement framework to apply to everybody,” Werfel said.

Under the original settlement agreement, Trump will receive a formal apology from the government but no monetary compensation.

Federal Judge Kathleen Williams, who dismissed the case Monday, criticized the government for failing to fully disclose details of the settlement during court proceedings, raising questions about transparency surrounding the agreement.

Comments

Related Itemsnews
Click to add a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

News
May 20, 2026
Web Reporter

Related Itemsnews

More in News

Hanoi Scales Back Petrol Motorbike Ban Amid Public Opposition

Web ReporterMay 19, 2026
Read More

Hantavirus-Stricken Cruise Ship to Dock in Rotterdam as Remaining Crew Enter Quarantine

Web ReporterMay 18, 2026
Read More

UN General Assembly to Debate Climate Resolution After Intense Negotiations

Web ReporterMay 18, 2026
Read More

WHO Declares Ebola Outbreak in Congo and Uganda an International Health Emergency

Web ReporterMay 17, 2026
Read More

London Police Deploy Massive Operation as Rival Protests and FA Cup Final Converge

Web ReporterMay 16, 2026
Read More

Man Dies After Shark Attack Off Western Australia Coast Near Rottnest Island

Web ReporterMay 16, 2026
Read More

Trump Warns Iran as Strait of Hormuz Crisis Deepens After Talks With Xi

Web ReporterMay 15, 2026
Read More

Protests Erupt Across Havana as Severe Blackouts Deepen Cuba’s Fuel Crisis

Web ReporterMay 14, 2026
Read More

Trump and Xi Open High-Stakes Beijing Summit Amid Trade and Iran Tensions

Web ReporterMay 14, 2026
Read More
Scroll for more
Tap
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Tags

Khaleej Mag
Khaleej Mag is your premier source for insightful stories, vibrant culture, and dynamic perspectives from across the Arabian Gulf region and the rest of the world. Explore the essence of Gulf life with captivating articles, stunning visuals, and exclusive features. Stay informed, inspired, and connected with Khaleej Mag. Contact us at editor@khaleejmag.com.

Follow Us

  • X
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram

Copyright © 2018 Khaleej Mag

Hanoi Scales Back Petrol Motorbike Ban Amid Public Opposition