Have you ever had a problem with your garbage disposal? The answer is probably yes. When problems arise, repairing it may seem like a nightmare but it is easier than you probably think. It is a very convenient tool and something that most people consider a must-have, so don’t leave it broken because you are too intimidated to fix it. It makes life easier and also helps to have less waste to throw out in the garbage, which in turn helps prevent you from getting a mice or bug infestation, since the majority of your food waste will be disposed of properly and won’t be sitting in front of your house.
Here are some great tips to follow, when your garbage disposal starts giving you trouble:
- Your safety is the most important thing: Anytime you are tasked with repairing your garbage disposal, make sure you take care of the basic safety points. The most important one is to make sure the disposal is disconnected from the electricity. This will prevent the major risk of it getting turned on while you are working on it. That would be a total disaster! Also, wear gloves that allow you to work and use your hand freely but at the same time, protect you from the sharp blades, in case you have to replace or deal with them.
- Replace the blades: Of course, the last thing we want to do, but sometimes it has to be done! First off, remember to wear your gloves to protect your hands. In order to complete this, you will need an allen tool to loosen the blades and tighten them up again. With a good manual, this work can be done easily, so don’t throw it away. Never attempt to replace blades without the proper instruction because you may end up having to replace the whole device. You can always check how to fix a garbage disposal of you specific device brand online.
- Sometimes the problem is simpler than we think: When something gets stuck between the blades, we tend to freak out and think that the whole thing is ruined. However, the fact that the garbage disposal has temporarily stopped working, doesn’t necessary mean that it has to be replaced. Sometimes an object between the blades can trigger the reset button (trip-switch). This switch is popped-out when the device detects that a hard object got stuck. At that point, unplug the disposal from the electricity and then remove the object that got stuck between the blades. After that, look on the bottom of the motor and press the little reset button. Problem resolved!
- Look for leaks: If you detect that the area below your garbage disposal is wet, the next step is to look for leaking gaskets. It is necessary to replace them before the problem becomes something more severe. Changing them is very easy with the proper tools. In order to know what you need, you will need to check the owner’s manual and follow it word by word.
- Failure to grind: This problem tends to arise when we don’t take care about what we throw down our disposal, Maybe the blades can be fixed and not need to be replaced. For this, there are a few ways to sharpen the blades. One of the most popular ways is to use coffee grounds or ice but the most effective one is to take them to a sharpener for better and more effective results.